Becoming a Member
The mission of the Emiquon Corps of Discovery is to tell the story of Emiquon through the observation and creative documentation of the changes in the Emiquon landscape and to share that documentation with others; “to analyze with the mind of a scientist, to see with the eyes of an artist and to speak with the words of a poet.”
To join ECD:
- You will need a mentor, someone of your choosing from the membership, or a mentor will be identified for you, with your interests in mind. Your mentor will introduce you to the property and observation areas, explain TNC philosophy regarding Emiquon in general and Emiquon Corps of Discovery in particular, introduce you to key people in the various partnership organizations and will accompany you on your first four observations.
- You will need to sign a liability waiver annually in order to explore and observe The Nature Conservancy’s Emiquon Preserve. It must be turned in to the TNC office or a staff member. You will receive an ECD window cling for your vehicle to identify you as someone who is allowed on TNC property outside the Visitor Use Area.
- You will receive a video training series that not only orients you to the Corps of Discovery philosophy, but teaches photography, writing/journaling and sketching/painting skills. (Video series currently in production)
- You will receive an ECD binder including informational documents, suggestions and tools for observing and documenting the Emiquon landscape, along with exercises, activities and projects.
- The ECD training is divided into four parts. Following the completion of each part, you will meet with your mentor to make an observation at Emiquon that can be shared through an ECD exhibit, archive or the group Facebook page.
- There is a $50 one time membership fee to cover the cost of training materials.
- You will find an introductory video to Emiquon here.
- A prospective member may also join ECD by attending the four day training sessions of another Corps of Discovery.
For more information on the Emiquon Corps of Discovery and activities contact Michelle Quinones at email@example.com.